Orran, meaning “haven” in Armenian, was established in downtown Yerevan in April 2000. The Center started with 16 children, but within six months, it had grown to embrace more than 26 at-risk elderly and 40 socially vulnerable children, some of whom were orphans. The number of these beneficiaries keeps increasing; with the two centers, Yerevan & Vanadzor as of end 2012 serving 50 elderly and more than 150 children, ranging in age from five to sixteen years.
Orran’s mission is to:
- Divert children from the streets and engage them in academic, cultural, and extra-curricular activities
- Fight the concept of beggar children as the principal breadwinners of their families
- Help families “in crisis”
- Assist the lonely and needy elderly
- Identify and develop children’s interests and talents toward a working career
- Prevent the spread of destitution and begging among Armenia’s children and elderly